Thank you for your interest in the Canal Run. This is a truly great event with thousands of happy participants over the past 40-plus years. Below is all of the information you’ll need to know. If there’s anything you have questions about, contact us.
Weekend Schedule at a Glance
All times are Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Friday, July 15, 2022
- 3-8 p.m. - Registration and Bib Pickup - Registration and bib pickup at Quincy Green on Finlandia University's campus located at 435 Quincy Street in Hancock. Race packets can be picked up by others.
- 5-8 p.m. - Key Ingredients - The city of Hancock will be alive.
Saturday, July 16, 2022
- 5:45-9:15 a.m. - Bib Pick-Up - Bib pickup at the Church of the Resurrection, 900 Quincy St., 5 blocks from the finish line (also the Shuttle service location). There is no race-day registration.
- 5:45-9:15 a.m. - Shuttle service - Shuttle service will begin at 5:45 a.m. at the Church of the Resurrection, 900 Quincy St. (map), 5 blocks from the finish line. Please plan on boarding the shuttle to your race about an hour before your race is scheduled to start. Strollers are welcome on the shuttles.
- 7:15 – 9:20 a.m. - Race Start Times
- 10 mile walk - 7:15 a.m.
- Half marathon - 7:30 a.m.
- 10 mile run (Bob Olson Memorial Run) - 8:00 a.m.
- 5 mile run - 8:50 a.m.
- 5 mile walk - 8:55 a.m.
- 2 mile fun run/walk - 9:20 a.m.
- Kids Dash - 10:30 a.m.
Course Map and Profiles
Start Times and Locations
- 10-mile walk at McLain State Park
- Half Marathon at Koskela Road
- 10-mile Bob Olson Memorial run at McLain State Park
- 5-mile run at High Point Road
- 5-mile walk at High Point Road
- 2-mile fun run/walk at Cemetery Road near Swedetown Creek
- Kids Dash
- Race packets, which includes your bib and courtesy race swag will be available on Friday from 3-8 p.m. on the Quincy Green lawn, 435 Quincy Street in Hancock. Race packets will also be available Saturday morning at the Church of the Resurrection, 900 Quincy St, 5 blocks from the finish line from 5:45-9:15 a.m.
- Bibs with timing chips on them will be provided in your race packet.
- Race packets can be picked up by others.
Shuttle service will be provided to all start locations from the Church of the Resurrection, 900 Quincy St (map), 5 blocks from the finish line. Shuttles will leave approximately every 15 minutes beginning at 5:45 a.m. The last shuttle for each race will leave approximately at the following times:
- 10 Mile Walk -6:30 a.m.
- 1/2 Marathon – 6:45 a.m.
- 10 Mile Bob Olson Run – 7:15 a.m.
- 5 Mile Run – 8:05 a.m.
- 5 Mile Walk – 8:10 a.m.
- 2 Mile Fun Run/Walk – 8:50 a.m.
Water Stops will be located every 2 miles along the course. Water, Gatorade and medical professionals will be provided at all water stops.
Restroom facilities will be located at all race starts, the Finish Line, Saturday shuttle location, and along the course at the following Water Stops: Bear Lake (9 miles to go), High Point (5 miles to go) and Harrington Ridge (3 miles to go).
Canal Kids’ Dash
- The Canal Kids' Dash will not be taking place in 2021
Overall and age group awards will be offered this year, but an awards ceremony will not take place. Awards will be available for pick-up on Quincy Green immediately following the race. Look for 2022 age groups to be posted in the next few months!
- Half Marathon: 16-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+, plus all half marathon finishers will receive a medal
- 10-mile Run: 19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
- 5-mile Run: 19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
- 10-mile Walk: 19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
- 5-mile Walk: 19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+
- Virtual Canal Run: Awards are not given for the free virtual event
We require people to be at least 16-years-old to compete in the half marathon, 13 to compete in the 10-mile-run and all of those under 10 must be accompanied by an adult for the five-mile run and two-mile fun run. There are no age requirements for walking events.
Half Marathon Cut-Off Times
The Half Marathon must be completed within 3 hours and 30 minutes (16:02 minute/mile pace). Racers not reaching Mile 8 Water Stop (High Point) by 9:23 a.m. or Mile 11 (2 Mile Race Start/Cemetery Rd) by 10:10 a.m. will be disqualified.
Please bring your own clothing bag if you wish to leave items at the race start. Bag tags will be provided. The bags will be transported to the finish line. The Canal Run is not responsible for lost items.
- The use of headphones is strongly discouraged for the safety of our participants, as the racecourse is not closed to traffic.
- Runners and walkers must stay on the left side of the road at all times, facing traffic.
- The Event Alert System (EAS) communicates the status of course conditions to participants leading up to and on race day. The levels range from Low (green) to Moderate (yellow) to High (red) to Extreme (black) based on a variety of factors, including weather conditions. All participants should familiarize themselves with the Event Alert System prior to the race, remain alert for directions from race officials and announcers and take precautions to prepare properly for varying weather conditions on race day. Website communication during race week will inform participants of the current Event Alert System status and provide preparation tips based on advance weather forecasts.
- Current Alert Level — Green, Good Conditions.
- On race day, the current Event Alert System status will be communicated via announcements and color-coded flags at the race starts and at Aid Stations along the course.
- Parking will not be available at the Half Marathon, 5 Mile or 2 Mile Race Starts. Shuttle service will be available near the Finish Line.
- To eliminate congestion at the finish line, walkers are asked to come through the finish line single file.
- Those entering the walking events are not allowed to run and will be disqualified from the event if seen running. If you’d like to run an event but would like to walk some of it, please register for a running event.
- Walking the entire ½ marathon or 10-mile run will not be permitted.
- Sizing information on the commemorative t-shirts can be found here - men's sizing and women's sizing. Shirts do run small.
Click the icon below to download the attached PDF.