Thank you for your interest in the Canal Run. This is a truly great event with thousands of happy participants over the past 40-plus years. Below is all of the information you’ll need to know. If there’s anything you have questions about, contact us.
Weekend Schedule at a Glance
Please note, all times are Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Friday, July 16, 2021
- 3-8 p.m. - Registration and Bib Pickup - Registration and bib pickup at the Finnish American Heritage Center on Finlandia University's campus located at 435 Quincy Street in Hancock. Race packets can be picked up by others.
- 5-8 p.m. - Key Ingredients - The city of Hancock will be alive.
Saturday, July 17, 2021
- 6-8 a.m. - Bib Pick-Up - Bib pickup at the Church of the Resurrection, 900 Quincy St., 5 blocks from the finish line (also the Shuttle service location). There is no race-day registration.
- 6-8:30 a.m. - Shuttle service - Shuttle service will begin at 6 a.m. at the Church of the Resurrection, 900 Quincy St. (map), 5 blocks from the finish line. Please plan on boarding the shuttle to your race about an hour before your race is scheduled to start. Strollers are welcome on the shuttles.
- 7:15 – 9:25 a.m. - Race Start Times
- 7:15 a.m. – 10-mile walk
- 7:30 a.m. – Half marathon
- 8:00 a.m. – 10-mile run (Bob Olson Memorial Run)
- 8:50 a.m. – 5-mile run
- 8:55 a.m. – 5-mile walk
- 9:20 a.m. – 2-mile fun run/walk
- 9:45– 10:45 a.m.
- Awards Ceremony (times are approximate)
- 9:45 a.m. – 10-mile Run
- 10 a.m. – Half Marathon
- 10:15 a.m. – 5-mile Run
- 10:45 a.m. – 10-mile Walk
- 11 a.m. – 5-mile Walk
- 10:30 a.m. - Canal Kids Dash - The event is free for all children or there is an option to pay $10 and receive a Canal Run t-shirt. Participants will run a quarter mile and finish at the finish line on Quincy Street.
Course Map and Profiles
Start Times and Locations
- 10-mile walk: 7:15 a.m. at McLain State Park
- Half Marathon: 7:30 a.m. at Koskela Road
- 10-mile Bob Olson Memorial run: 8:00 a.m. at McLain State Park
- 5-mile run: 8:50 a.m. at High Point Road
- 5-mile walk: 8:55 a.m. at High Point Road
- 2-mile fun run/walk: 9:20 a.m. at Cemetery Road near Swedetown Creek
- Race packets, which includes your bib and courtesy race swag will be available on Friday from 3-8 p.m. at the Finnish American Heritage Center, 435 Quincy Street in Hancock. Race packets will also be available Saturday morning at the Church of the Resurrection, 900 Quincy St, 5 blocks from the finish line from 6-8 a.m.
- Last-minute registration and packet/bib pick-up are Friday from 3 to 8 p.m. the Finnish American Heritage Center, 435 Quincy Street in Hancock on Finlandia University’s campus.
- Bibs with timing chips on them will be provided in your race packet.
- Race packets can be picked up by others.
- During last-minute registration and packet pickup all racers, volunteers, families, friends and community members are invited to stop by the Finnish American Heritage Center for the Canal Run Race Expo! The expo will take place from 3 to 8 p.m. Many vendors will also be set up Saturday after the race on Quincy Green.
- Vendors Wanted! If you’re interested in being a vendor at the Canal Run Race Expo, email email@example.com.
Shuttle service will be provided to all start locations from the Church of the Resurrection, 900 Quincy St (map), 5 blocks from the finish line. Shuttles will leave approximately every 15 minutes beginning at 6 a.m. The last shuttle for each race will leave approximately at the following times:
- 10 Mile Walk -6:30 a.m.
- 1/2 Marathon – 6:45 a.m.
- 10 Mile Bob Olson Memorial Run – 7:15 a.m.
- 5 Mile Walk – 8:10 a.m.
- 5 Mile Run – 8:05 a.m.
- 2 Mile Fun Run/Walk – 8:20 a.m.
Water Stops will be located every 2 miles along the course. Water, Powerade and medical professionals will be provided at all water stops.
Restroom facilities will be located at all race starts, the Finish Line, Saturday shuttle location, and along the course at the following Water Stops: Bear Lake (9 miles to go), High Point (5 miles to go) and Harrington Ridge (3 miles to go).
5-Mile Run Waves
Wave starts will be provided for the 5-mile run. If you would like to be in the same wave as friends or family, be sure to enter the same pace per mile on your registration form. If left blank, waves will randomly be assigned.
Canal Kids’ Dash
- Free for all kids or there is an option to pay $10 and receive a Canal Run t-shirt.
- Saturday at 10:30 a.m. Participants will start near Krist Oil and run down the racecourse 1/4 mile through the finish line chute. This event is not timed and all participants will receive a medal. There are no age limits. Registration will be in front of Northern Auto. This is a closed course.
- All participants receive a Canal Kid’s Dash finisher’s medal!
The awards ceremony will take place in downtown Hancock, near the finish line. Age Groups: Each year our organizing committee reviews the age group ranges for both genders. Our goal is to roughly equalize the number of participants in each age group (based on the previous year’s numbers) for fairness and to ensure a competitive balance among all age groups. As a result, some age groups are five-year spans and some are 10-year spans. Male and female age groups don’t necessarily match – in many ranges the number of male and female participants are not the same. Age groups for each race are listed above.
- 9:45 a.m. – 10-mile Run (13-16, 17-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-69, 70+)
- 10 a.m. – Half Marathon (16-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+, plus all half marathon finishers will receive a medal.)
- 10:15 a.m. – 5-mile Run (10 and under, 11-13, 14-16, 17-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+)
- 10:45 a.m. – 10-mile Walk (19 and under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+)
- 11:00- a.m. – 5-mile Walk (14 and under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+)
We require people to be at least 16-years-old to compete in the half marathon, 13 to compete in the 10-mile-run and all of those under 10 must be accompanied by an adult for the five-mile run and two-mile fun run. There are no age requirements for walking events.
Please bring your own clothing bag if you wish to leave items at the race start. Bag tags will be provided. The bags will be transported to the finish line. The Canal Run is not responsible for lost items.
- The use of headphones is strongly discouraged for the safety of our participants, as the racecourse is not closed to traffic.
- Runners and walkers must stay on the left side of the road at all times, facing traffic.
- The Event Alert System (EAS) communicates the status of course conditions to participants leading up to and on race day. The levels range from Low (green) to Moderate (yellow) to High (red) to Extreme (black) based on a variety of factors, including weather conditions. All participants should familiarize themselves with the Event Alert System prior to the race, remain alert for directions from race officials and announcers and take precautions to prepare properly for varying weather conditions on race day. View EAS LevelsWebsite communications during race week will inform participants of the current Event Alert System status and provide preparation tips based on advance weather forecasts.
- Current Alert Level — Green, Good Conditions.
- On race day, the current Event Alert System status will be communicated via announcements and color-coded flags at the race starts and at Aid Stations along the course.
- Parking will not be available for the Half Marathon or 5 Mile Starts. Shuttle service will be available near the Finish Line.
- To eliminate congestion at the finish line, walkers are asked to come through the finish line single file.
- Those entering the walking events are not allowed to run and will be disqualified from the event if seen running. If you’d like to run an event but would like to walk some of it, please register for a running event.
- Walking the entire ½ marathon or 10-mile run will not be permitted.
- Sizing information on the commemorative t-shirts can be found here.